Don’t Turn Your Back on Mother Nature

John - Sevierville, Tennessee

I believe that human kind should not turn its back on Mother Nature. I believe that we all should learn to recognize the beauty, observe the wonder of nature, and cherish that we are a part such an amazing stage. As I look out my window from a log cabin on a fine spring morning in east Tennessee, the morning water droplets on the cedar tree that I see sparkle like a prism reflecting the entire light spectrum from greens to blues to red as a breeze gently drives their dance. The birds began to sing at dawn as I awakened to their symphony. I believe that we should pay attention to what surrounds us. Each of us has a little Henry David Thoreau in us. Let it out to play!

Last night, the first “Earth Hour” was observed around the world by turning off lights for an hour expressing concern for the condition of our planet’s environment and resolving to restore and sustain its future. Nearly 4,000 cities and towns in 88 countries dimmed nonessential lights from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at their local times. The collective message was clear, delay no more in the challenging work of environmental stewardship. Just to illustrate the challenges, an alternative perspective was voiced by The Competitive Enterprise Institute sponsoring a counter event called the “Human Achievement Hour” encouraging people to just keep on doing what they are doing.

The challenges are daunting to say the least. The amazing documentary “They Killed Sister Dorothy” vividly tells the story of a Catholic nun in the Amazon basin in Brazil who fought for the rights of indigenous peoples to continue their sustainable life styles and sustain the rain forests. She was killed. The perpetrators were ranchers who were tried and found guilty but were soon released by a higher court and were back to their old practice of assault on one of most diverse ecosystems on the Planet unabated, and for what? The soils are so poor, the nutrients are accumulated above ground in a rain forest, that the grazing won’t survive after 2-3 years. At the end of the documentary, local people expressed their belief that Dorothy’s perspective will ultimately prevail.

I believe we should all answer the question, “What can I do?” The options and opportunities are everywhere. Start with you daily routine and how it relates to energy, consumption, conservation and observation. As expressed in the lyrics from one of my favorite songs, “Slow down, you move to fast, you’ve got to make the morning last, just kickin’ down the coble-stones, lookin’ for fun and feelin’ groovy, ladadadada feelin gr0000vy”. And maybe, just maybe, we can all still sing one of my other favorite songs “In the jungle the mighty jungle the lion still sleeps tonight”!