No one should ever let somebody make them feel as though they less then they really are

Liz - 99645, Alaska

Nobody likes letting people walk all over them, but a lot of the time we don’t do much to prevent it. Everyday people let others bring them down and cause them to think less of themselves. I don’t know why I gave this person so many chances to bring me down, but I did.

At the beginning of my freshman year I was a confident student, and didn’t let things get to me personally. By the end of the year I was self-conscience and thought very little of myself. Surprisingly, this dramatic change was caused by one person, a guy. I knew that our relationship was nothing special and wasn’t really going anywhere, but for some reason I thought it could. I knew that he wasn’t as committed to the relationship as I was, but I had it in my mind that if we could stay together, that it would change. He knew that he had the freedom to do what he wanted, because he knew that I was still going to stick around.

Finally, when I decided I was done putting up with his crap, I ended the relationship. Even though he was out of the picture, he had left his mark on my life. I no longer had any self-respect, and no self-confidence. This is why I believe that no one should ever let someone make them feel like they are less than they really are. After my relationship problems I thought that I was the cause of his unfaithfulness. I thought so little of myself that I wasn’t able be myself around guys, or ever let myself think I had a chance with a guy. I had completely given up on relationships, and I was only fourteen.

By letting this guy get under my skin, my high school years weren’t spent meeting new people and experiencing life. My social skills were poor, and I often felt uncomfortably awkward. Finally, after two years, I snapped, out of my awkward funk and realized that I wasn’t going to let this high school boyfriend affect my life anymore. I became much more social, and started getting out and meeting people, making the best of life. I didn’t suddenly jump back into the dating world, but slowly worked myself up to that level.

I learned the hard way that there will always be people who will bring you down. I know now not to take other people’s thoughts or actions too personally. Because I was able to break out of my shell, and gain my confidence back, I am now in an amazing relationship and I couldn’t ask for anything better at the moment. By learning from my past experiences, I now have the self respect and confidence necessary to have a successful, healthy relationship. This is why I believe that no one should ever let somebody make them feel as though they less then they really are.