I believe in facing life head on

Siobhan - Butte, Montana

I believe in facing life head on. Life is such a miraculous thing, but at times very testing. I have definitely had trying events in my life. There were times where I felt I just wanted throw in the towel — give up because it seemed a lot easier than having to fight my way through it. Although I felt like giving up I never did.

Everyone has things they need to overcome in life. Nobody’s life is perfect. As a teenager I had a prescription drug problem. I stayed at my Aunt’s house, which was a flop house for every junkie in town. I became totally dependant on OxyContin. My life revolved around OxyContin.

One time I took too many pills, passed out, and a guy raped me It was at that moment I made my decision that I was done with pills. I haven’t touched them ever since.

As far as that rape went, I could have let the experience affect me in two different ways. I could dwell on it and let it consume me and the rest of my life, or I could be at peace with it. I began to understand that in a way he might have saved my life. If that night never happened I could have continued to use pills for God knows how long. Even though I haven’t been on this earth for all that long, I believe you must find strength in yourself. You must know and believe there is nothing that you cannot overcome. Believing in yourself really makes a difference. I have learned that, although there are a lot of trying times in life, don’t be afraid to stand up to the things that are holding you down. Someone once told me to face at least one of your fears everyday. It makes you a stronger person in the end.

No matter how tough things may get don’t cower to them. Take them head on with full force because you might surprise yourself in the end. You play the cards that you are dealt. Things may seem so dark that you’ll never get out but remember there is always a light just waiting to shine through. It may not be easy but then again nothing worth it in life comes easy. It takes hard work but it will be completely worth it in the end.

Life is an astonishing journey with many bends along the way. But everything happens for a reason because without those experiences you wouldn’t be you. You can take life’s hardships and turn them into learning experiences. Always remember, learn from and benefit from the past; just don’t let it consume you. It is like taking the bull by its horns. You take life as it comes at you; at times you may need to get down and wrestle with it a bit, but don’t be afraid to do it. This I believe.