What I Believe

Kathryn - St. Louis, Missouri

In a new world straining with difficult issues and growing complexity, I am an old fashioned girl with old fashioned values. I am a hopeless optimist that sees the possibilities and potential of our society, and the world at large. I believe in hard work and persevering, in the Golden Rule and legal standards. I believe that with the right tools, coupled with my unbounded passion and energy, I can make a difference in people’s lives. I believe the law provides the perfect venue for this commitment.

I believe in life-long learning. I’m one of those people that love school, the kind of student that every teacher wants in their class. I’m prepared and engaged, but more importantly, I love the sense of learning – the challenge and discovery, the accomplishment and growth, the ability to evolve.

I believe in having moral courage. I was taught to have a strong regard for ethics and the truth, to feel empathy for those less fortunate, and not to take our liberties for granted. As a result, I think it’s important to have a point of view and to participate. I feel a responsibility to not only have a voice, but to insure that others have a voice as well.

I believe in justice and equality – I take the words of the American Constitution seriously. As a young girl, I was always moved by American history, particularly those noble concepts for which people fought and died. From the framers of our constitution to Martin Luther King, ideas were crafted that benefited both the individual and society as a whole. Just the thought of people coming together to sculpt the rules by which we live – the process, the multi-faceted issues, the standards of a society – this is something I find truly exciting and important.

I believe that change is good, and often necessary. My father has always said, “If one door closes, another one opens.” As a result, I always view a closed door not as rejection or a lack of success, but as a chance for adventure and an opportunity to learn. There is never an end to a road, a reason to give up, or an excuse to take the easy way. This has allowed me to hone my skills, think more quickly on my feet, and approach what others may see as a dire circumstance with a sense of optimism and hope. There are always new ways, new situations, and endless possibilities – one must remain open and wide-eyed.

I believe in the law. I appreciate its history – the role it played in early societies and that change is sometimes required to retain its relevance in today’s complex and diverse world. I appreciate how the law impacts our everyday lives; how it protects us; how it is integral to a civilized society; how it can require patience and guidance; and how without it we are lost.

I believe that inspiration can come from anywhere – a great teacher, a sad (or hopeful) story, a new experience, or from giving of yourself. It is those moments of inspiration that make life exciting and worth living.

I believe in sacrifice, commitment and responsibility.

I believe that I have been waiting my entire life for this next stage – to develop the tools that will enable me to make my mark on society, to lead a life worth living, and to make a difference in people’s lives. While I realize that this may sound naïve, please understand that I have no illusions about the harsh realities of the world. I simply refuse to compromise on possibility. This is what I believe.