Having something to do is the secret of happiness

WenTing - BeiJing, China

It had been almost half a year since I suspended studies staying at home. Life in those days seemed like an airtight container, within which I can hardly breathe.

And one day I could wait no more to send an application for my reentry, although I knew exactly that suspension should last for a year according to the school rules.

Three days later, there eventually came a call, telling me that I could not return school for the consideration of health.

Another hope was extinguished.

It was a fair summer afternoon, but I felt as bleak as winter in my heart. I ran to the haven of my bedroom and crouched down, shuddering, as tears welled up from my heart. I stared at my favorite notebook, taking pains to search my recollection of my dreams, unfortunately, I couldn’t write anything down. A strong feeling told me: I’m a girl deserted; a patient abandoned by the society; a wretch depends on parents.

Suddenly, I felt a hand rest on my shoulder. I looked up and see my mama. “It isn’t easy, is it?” Mama said softly, drawing me into her arms.

“Mum,” I replied through my tears, “How can I ever get though the following days? I feel extremely empty.”

For a moment she just stared off into my notebook. “Life is such a process full of ups and downs. You cannot change the facts, but you can change your attitude.” She said, “Having something to do will do you good, and I want you to remember the happiness instead of the sorrows of those days.” I raised my eyes and met her eyes.

And then she gently took my hand. “Forget about it. Go with mama to do some grocery shopping, honey.” She whispered.

We walked, hand in hand, to the grocery. Mama taught me a lot about the shopping skills. I found myself feeling refreshed and relieved after shopping. I even discussed the different tastes of vinegar in high spirit while I noticed a gratified smile emerging on mama’s face.

In the following days, I developed an interest in grocery shopping. Shouldering my way through the crowd, I enjoyed the hustle and bustle out in the open air.

After a year’s treatment and relaxation, I successfully recovered from illness and resumed my student status. I owed so much to my “grocery shopping” life.

I often think of what mama taught me and reminded me of the importance of raising my head; regaining my vigor, and having something to do.

Some people complain about their jobs; others enjoy working. Some long for leisure, others expect being busy. Yet all those attitudes do not really matter. What matters to us is that we have something to do each day, no matter whether it is large or small, grave or petty. Each day is the same, but what we do makes it different.

I believe in grocery shopping, because it reveals the secret of happiness: having something to do.