Enjoy Waiting

Zou - China

I believe in enjoying waiting. By enjoying waiting I mean preparing myself for a forthcoming event with jitters and raptures. The fox in my favorite book, the Little Prince, began to feel happy already at 3:00pm, knowing that his beloved friend would visit him at 4:00pm, and he became excited and even anxious as the hour advanced. I believe he enjoyed waiting for the little prince.

While waiting, I appreciate the ambience, imagining what a pleasant time I am about to have.

I have a close friend I’ve known for years. She is one of those people who are always ten minutes late while I have the quirk of constantly being punctual for everything. Since we study in different universities in Beijing, we meet up at a coffee shop called LUSH on a weekly basis. Every Saturday afternoon, I push through the loose wooden door, pick one of those quaint tables, order one piece of scrumptious mud pie and bathe myself in the balmy air. I go through the weekly ritual of getting myself ready for a cozy afternoon, waiting for her to burst in and breathlessly apologize for being late again. Expecting her to come and brighten up my day, I feel life is fantastic when I have something to look forward to.

I become exuberant and nervous while waiting, counting down to the coming final moment.

If there is one thing I have learned from my past relationships, it is that the essence of my happiness is the euphoria of knowing what is yet to come. I delighted in waiting at home for a date. I primped in front of the mirror for hours in advance and dragged all my clothes out of the wardrobe to find the” just-right” outfit. I kept glancing at the clock with mild impatience, wondering why time went by so slowly. Nowadays, when I think of those times, the words whispered, the joys and woes shared and even the persons cherished seem to have faded away while the excitement and anxieties of waiting can be easily recalled. Some people spend their whole life pursuing happiness; I realized how happy I felt when waiting, like a little child opening a shiny gift-wrapped box. When I wait, I can feel the strength of my longing for the upcoming event and I feel blessed with the wonderful life that I have had bestowed upon me.

Life is short. If I have the chance to write a memoir in my old age, I would be happy to

declare that I’ve spent part of my life enjoying waiting, like the fox, excited and fidgety, anticipating the best that life can offer.