Brianna - Plainview, New York

This I Believe (What do you think?)

“People Learn or Do Not Learn from Their Mistakes”

The saying “People learn from their mistakes” can be true or not depending on the person that you are talking about. When someone makes a mistake or does something wrong, some people apologize just for forgiveness, others do because they know that they were wrong and truly mean it. I feel that apologizing just because you want someone’s forgiveness is not right and then that person did not learn from their mistake. The person who apologized and meant it with all of their heart and will not repeat that mistake, I think learned from their wrong doing. All people are different, and some use their past mistakes and experiences to shape their future in a better way, others don’t see the benefit in that.

When people learn from their mistakes they begin to understand what they have done wrong in the past and remind themselves about it so that they can make better decisions in the future. There are certain people that have started out their life heading down the wrong path and they end up becoming one of the greatest people you will have ever met. Also some people just do something that they do not mean to at the time and they wish that they hadn’t. So now they are warned to not do it again. Everyone does not always get lucky in life but for the most part if you understand the simple things that you should not be doing you will be okay in the end, hopefully. If you have done something you wish you hadn’t, even if you regret it and try to fix it, that thing will not always turn out the way you had wished for it to. This is life and this is why a person should not continually do something that they understand is not helping them in any way and is only adding to more problems to come.

When people do not learn from their mistakes they are going to continue on a path that you do not wish to be on. This means that a person will repeatedly do the wrong thing and will never see the problem with that, or just does not care enough to fix it. There are always those people that have a gut feeling or something that they really want and will do anything to get that one thing. That person can cause many problems but may believe that psychologically they are thinking along the right lines and that is not harmful. Maybe it is not always harmful to them but when other people are involved, people can get hurt emotionally, physically, or mentally and will never understand someone who just doesn’t learn from their mistakes and why they do not end it already.

The thing is, everyone makes mistakes and that is understandable. When you keep making them along your path in life, that is not the right thing to do and it should be fixed. When you are a child you learn the difference between right and wrong and that you should say sorry, but only when you really mean it. Even as an adult, these aspects remain the same. You cannot fix something just by apologizing. You must admit that you were wrong and understand why. That is truly learning from your mistake. Once you do, try to make the best of life and make the right decisions. This is the only way people will succeed in life the right way and feel good about themselves as well.