A Little Gift Means So Much

Wenqi - Beijing, China

I believe in a little gift, which has the magic to light cheerfulness.

When I visited my grandma one afternoon during last summer vacation, she grumbled about everything to me: the glaring sunshine, the still air, and even a languid dog’s bark. Feeling she was cranky, I hesitated when I wanted to give her a little gift, a yellow purse with Hello Kitty printed on. I thought it was not suitable to present a cartoon article to an old lady. However, if I didn’t, the purse would lie in my locker for an eternity, and it was not so courteous not to give her a gift. To be frank, I bought the purse on sale. It was so cheap and sweet that I couldn’t help buying it, even thought I didn’t need it at all, for I already had several purses. At first, I thought it might as well to give my grandma the purse as a present, but under the circumstances that both people and air were on the verge of blowing up, I feared it would be a fuse leading grandma to be even more indignant. To give or not to give, it was a question. I faltered.

To my great surprise and delight, my grandma was as sprightly as a little girl when she received my present. She said she was right in need of a purse. She said yellow was her favorite color and the cat on it was so lovely, even though I had never heard that she was fond of yellow or cats. She said how thankful she was to me and how much she loved me just as I did her. Grandma kept talking and singing the whole afternoon, overflowing with pleasure. Then I realized how heavy a little gift could weigh. It is like a gentle breeze carrying the smells of cherry blossoms.

Half a year later, when I was to visit my grandma again, I was determined to select a decent gift fitting her well. When grandma accepted my carefully-chosen bracelet, she was just as amused as when receiving that cartoon purse. She hugged me tightly and said, “Honey, I am so touched and grateful that you always remember me.”

A little gift does mean a lot. No matter whether it is a stupid cartoon purse or a precious bracelet, to my grandma, they are the same. Both are the expression of my adoration. I believe we all have the experience that an unexpected gift made us so animated that we felt we were the happiest person in the world.

Do you still remember Mother’s Day and Father’s Day? Do you still remember your friends’ birthday? Please send them a little gift. It could be a nice watch; it could be a text message; or it could just be a caring greeting. The gift itself indeed means a lot, because it is another name for remembrance and love.