I Believe in Commitment

Monica - Tucson, Arizona
Themes: love

Simply said, I believe in commitment. The kind that’s shared between two people, soul mates: the person who you are to spend the rest of your life with. The one you give your mind, body and more importantly your soul to. This is a commitment that tests both your patience and faith. Believe me, I know.

I had just turned twenty. I was care free, trying to figure out who I was, and extremely fearful of committing to…well, anything. Although young, I was blessed to have met my soul mate, as if it were God himself who had magically placed us there. I remember how breathtaking those blue eyes were and how I barely managed to mutter “Hello.” There was an immediate connection and things moved fairly quickly, from an instant friendship to a fiery romance. Despite the fact that the road was a little bumpy in the beginning, it paved a way to the understanding of commitment. Right from the start I learned how compromise, support, and most importantly trust were going to be the foundation to our commitment. Trust would not only be the key to the stability of our relationship, but it would also open the door to otherwise missed opportunities.

Take for instance, my birthday, I was turning twenty three and awaiting me was a trip to Las Vegas. I was so excited and at the same time horrified. You see, I had never been on a plane before. So the thought of being thousands of feet off the ground wasn’t very enticing. I had seen “Final Destination” and couldn’t help but think of that movie when I knew we’d be flying there. The day finally came to board the plane. My heart was pounding, I was light headed, and short of breath. I thought I was going to die! As the plane prepared for takeoff, although scared, the comfort of our hands clenched tightly together made me feel so very secure. The trust I felt in hearing, “It’s ok baby, don’t worry. Everything’s going to be fine.” made all the difference in the world. This was one of those moments I knew I was always going to remember. It’s when my faith in us and our commitment grew even stronger.

It’s been almost six years since the first day we met. It could have been fate that brought us together, but I believe God played a bigger part. I’m grateful for the experiences we’ve shared throughout the years, good and bad. It’s allowed me to finally understand, among so many other things, the true meaning of commitment: unconditional faith, trust, and love. I ‘m truly amazed how one person can come out of nowhere and change your life. To this person, I am completely indebted to and extremely thankful for. She is the most kindhearted and giving person I know and it’s because of her that I believe in commitment.