Sandy - Issaquah, Washington

I believe that drawing is a form of communication.

When I first came to America, all the things were new and unfamiliar. For example, the way people look, the language, the environment, and the way of teaching. In school, I don’t have to do any work because I don’t know any English and because of that I don’t have any friends. But one time, in study hall, a person came to me and saw the picture that I drew. She asked me, “Did you draw that?” and I replied, “Yes.” And we started to talk about art. We now draw together and I teach her how to draw. She didn’t mind that I didn’t speak English well; instead, she taught me English. She and I became best friends.

Sometimes if there is a word that I don’t know; the teacher will draw a picture to show me. If I don’t know how to say something, I will draw a picture to show them what I was going to say.

When I draw something, the feeling that I connect to my drawing expresses the feeling that I have. When I am angry, the picture that I draw will look angry and the reason that I draw is because it helps me calm down and feel better. When I draw, I will think about more stuff. One time, I drew something on my paper, and my friend said to me, “Did something good happen?” and I asked her how she knows that. She said because the picture that I drew looks happy.

As the time passes by, I move to another school. It is like back in the day when I first came to the new school. But, just what I said before, because of drawing, I was able to meet new friends. It all starts with drawing and drawing became my new language in my new country.