Cool Kids

Dahee - 08053, New Jersey

Cool Kids

I believe that no matter what life hands me, I must stay cool to be cool. I have figured this out not too long ago. My dad has always scrunched up his nose at the encounter of an unnecessary obsession or tension. Although I understood this pet peeve deep inside my heart, I never knew what to do about it.

The very day of my realization was when I had been upset over an eventful test like no other. I am a fairly good student and do fairly well on my exams. The only reason of its extravagance on that particular day was the meeting of my neighbors eyes to my exam answers. I wanted to ignore this fact during the test and to simply return to my ravenous writing. Yet, I decided to do what I thought be right. Ever since the first grade, each and every child was taught with no mercy to keep one’s eyes on one’s own paper. Therefore, once those wandering eyes struck my paper with casualty, my reflexes shot out in the form of covering my paper the best I could without looking like a fool. This struggle to keep my paper covered evolved into a distraction which made it hard for me to concentrate on the test. My entire school day proceeded with anger due this. When I explained this to my dad after school, just by his disgusted reaction, I knew that I was in for a lesson to learn. He said, “Why didn’t you just let her? Be cool!”. He took notice of my dumbfounded reaction and simply stated that it was my teachers job to make sure that nobody cheats and not mine. In his definition, cool kids are the ones who don’t care what anybody does because they don’t have to. They do what they have to do and go along with life for their own and their loved ones benefits.

The following day, I asked a teacher for advice in creating a school club. The teacher discouraged my goal and I was raging with fury. Adults weren’t supposed to discourage children but rather were supposed to root them on. I flushed in embarrassment by his utter remark. Suddenly, my dad’s quote came into mind from the previous day. I then recouped from my shyness with a cool attitude. I walked down the hallways enjoying my goal of creating my dream of splendor. I wasn’t going to get the least bit upset because of a remark. I was better than that. I had better things to think about. I was cool!