Say Yes to Positive Thinking

Michaela - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

“No thank you, next.” I walk off the stage defeated for the moment, but with my head held high in anticipation of tomorrow. Every day of my life, I can continue on hoping because of my belief in thinking positively. I believe that by visualizing your desired outcome of a situation, the chances become at least a tiny bit greater. With all the negative events and personalities being highlighted all around us, it is hard to keep our minds in the green zone of success. We, as humans, are simply drawn to the negative phrases, “I can’t” and “it’s impossible” and “never”. They pull us down so that the starting point to achievement is even farther from the finish line than before. What we expect to happen will, and dreams become impossible destinations in never.

Some people are not exposed to rejection until their first college applications come back with the dreaded “thank you, but no” generic letter of rejection. A child must always be able to succeed very early in life any way that he or she can, or their attempts will always seem futile and pointless. If no golden sign of success beams encouragingly in the distance, then the question of “what is the point?” fills the mind and destroys all possibilities. To take a chance, there must be likely odds of success. I believe in the power of the word “yes.” Even the simplest request answered by yes can lead to a more optimistic lifestyle. If, even before attempting something, the expected answer is no, one will never try. From the small yes of “can I have a lollipop?” to “can I make it in the world?” a yes can alter someone’s potential forever.

I have my own experiences that have been influenced by the power of positive thinking. Almost every week, my choice of career at a young age has obligated me to present myself in front of hundreds of casting directors and let them judge me. 99 times out of 100, I am told I am too old, young, fat, skinny, tall, short, wrong hair color, wrong look entirely, or just plain not right. If I took these criticisms to heart, and deliberated too much about the discouraging chances of making it in the trying business of acting, I could never go through even one more audition. Instead, I wake up every morning and say to myself, “today is the day I am going to get my first Broadway play.” And even when I am proved wrong, I still believe that even though show X wasn’t the one for me, there is one out there. I make sure not to take my adjudicator’s critiques to heart, and repeat to myself over and over that I am unique and gifted in my own way. I believe that the most important person to have faith in you is yourself. As long as I continue thinking positively, I believe I will someday hear the dream fulfilling word “yes” to my Broadway play.