I believe reading a book helps us escape reality

Vicky - Salisbury, North Carolina

This I believe… I believe that reading books is a way to escape our own reality. Yeah, some people say that we like to read books for enjoyment or to find out how people’s imaginations work, but I believe that people read a book to escape their own reality, including myself. Whenever I read a good book, I like to pretend that I am a character in the story. I get so caught up in the story that I forget where I am or what I am supposed to be doing; other than reading a book. When I finally finish the book, I get sad because I really don’t want the story to be over. Looking at my life and lives of others, I realize that a character in a story has life way easier. No problems to worry about or stress to think about. Characters in stories sometimes have a happy ending when in reality; many people don’t have the chance to have a happy ending. For example, when I read Twilight, I sometimes imagined myself as Bella, the main character. I pictured myself as her because she is a lucky character. A girl who gets the cute guy, who’s also a vampire and falls in love with him but of course there is always complications in stories, but they are never real problems that happen in people’s lives, like school or personal problems. It’s always so much easier to escape in a book because you have so much fun doing it. Although sometimes it can get pretty boring reading a book, but once you get into the story, sometimes there’s no way in escaping, you just have to find out what will happen. I know whenever I read a really good book and I picture myself in the story, I escape reality so fast that I just don’t care what I have to do. All I want to do is just find out what will happen in the next chapter or so. I know a lot of people do this, but I believe there’s always a reason why they just want to read a book, more than just finding out what happens. They just want to get away for a little bit. They just want to become someone else for a little while; someone who can’t hurt them or put them down. I know I do.