Tears Are Medicine For the Soul

Allison - Comstock Park, Michigan

Tears Are Medicine For the Soul

I believe in the power of tears. Many perceive tears as a symbol of sorrow and mourning, which may be true, but they serve a greater purpose than expressing grief.

I’ve always grown up attending countless funerals, but I was never one to cry often, viewing those crystal drops as a mocking symbol of fear and dread. My opinion towards them was of utter dislike, even hate. They seemed to convey the message of weakness as I saw the most stable of people break down in despair. Those broken victims could not help themselves, it was simply what was brought upon them. Moments when the strong appeared so weak sent shivers of fear down my spine, generating the feeling that my whole world was crashing down. No longer protected by the authorities who remained immersed in grief, I felt vulnerable, exposed to outside dangers. I abhorred these tears and what they stood for. At moments like these, it seemed they were ripping my family and friends apart, but just the opposite was occurring. I was blind. I was foolish. I was ignorant to their true meaning.

I recently attended a funeral, walking into that church with the same stubborn opinion that tears were meant to break you. However, while the service proceeded, there was a moment which caught me off guard. As I lifted my head from the shameful position I had been sitting in, studying the room like never before, I was taken aback by what I saw. The tears of those around me, they were not pulling loved ones apart from each other. They were not causing misery beyond belief, rather they were slowly healing wounds of the downhearted, melting away at disputes, and bringing loved ones together. My eyes were now open to the powers tears can bring forth, and I felt my obstinate opinions slide away, replaced by a new belief.

Whether it be a joyful celebration or tragic goodbye, tears retain the ability to push aside prejudice and insecurities, resolve quarrels, and unify friends and enemies alike. They break down social barriers, assembling strangers who, on impulse, socialize together as if they’ve known each other forever. Tears encompass a peaceful effect while sending the message that we are only human, and we all have flaws that should be overlooked. Time can heal the wounds of lost, hurting souls, but tears can emit a feeling of love, acceptance, and understanding.

A fact of importance to remember is that tears are diverse, not only for dismal situations. As I came to my new comprehension of the symbolism they hold, I realized my failure in remembering the blissful events tears played an active role in. The days I spent with friends, laughing until we cried ourselves silly, not having a care in the world what anyone thought of our impractical behavior. Or those tear-shed triumphs that could never be misplaced from my mind, teaching me lessons that perseverance pays off. So many memories that were disregarded until now. I would no longer fear tears, but embrace them with a welcoming approach.

Tears hold mystifying powers that cannot be described by just one word. They epitomize peace and war, woe and delight, support and confusion. I believe in the power of tears because they have the ability to bring together people of different backgrounds and beliefs, create a sense of peace, and highlight the memories that can by no means be forgotten.