Love Conquers All

Cassandra - Wasilla, Alaska
Themes: love

As I have grown I have seen all different types of love. As a child there is the love for your favorite ice cream cone. As a teenager there is the love for your first car. As an adult there is the love for your job. But there is only one kind of love out there that I feel can change the world. The love for that one special someone. Is it possible for love to conquer all that life hands you?

Since I was born I have watched both my parents suffer from serious medical conditions. All of my memories of them include doctor’s appointments, ambulances, and countless surgeries. It has reached the point, that this is normal. My brothers and sister tell me stories of times when we used to go on family vacations, attend church, and just be genuinely happy. I have trouble believing in such things since I have watched my parents struggle to just survive. But as you can see, I have completely misread the entire situation.

If I would have looked closer, I would have seen something that was bigger than all the medical problems. I would have seen a mom who somehow can stay positive, and help all us kids with any problems we may have, even though she has endured the worst. I would find a dad who although has his own problems, finds the time to be by my mom’s bedside when she is ill. You will find my parents share more love than I thought could even exist, even with all that has happened. If I wasn’t always dwelling on all the negative, I would have seen how their illnesses have become a blessing.

The way I see it, this has taught me a lot about my future relationships. It has made me notice the little things that my boyfriend does to show he cares for me, such as sending me flowers, or opening the car door for me. I truly appreciate these things because I see the effort he puts forth. It makes me try and be more sensitive, and caring. It has opened my eyes about how to treat him as well, and what to do to show him that I care too.

I have come to see that someone who never leaves your side through the thick or thin, holds that powerful love we all long for. Because really, without love, what do we have? You would have to face what life hands you alone, and to me that is scarier than any illness. This I believe, that love truly can conquer all.