Mother or Best Friend?

Alyssa - Marlton, New Jersey
Themes: family, illness

Mother or Best Friend?

I believe every mother should be their daughter’s best friend. There are so many mothers who envy my mother and me because we are so close, which in the long run makes my life so much easier.

My belief changed greatly about two years ago. I always thought my mother was nosey and annoying. My perception of my mother all changed the day she got that heart-wrenching call. My mother had lung cancer. She was put into the hospital because they needed to remove the infected part of her lung immediately before it spread. My whole world came crashing down that day. Everyday for a month that summer I sat at her hospital bedside as her poor lungs kept giving up on her. I watched the tears roll down her flushed cheeks and she wept “I’m never going to go home!” Day by day her lungs just kept failing on her and day by day my heart kept slowly dying on me. Its then I realized that she wasn’t annoying; she only wanted to keep me from getting hurt in everyway possible. I spent every night on the phone with her and holding her poor lifeless hands. It was then that I realized I absolutely needed my mother. I needed her for my first heart break, for when I get married, for when I have my first child and is scared to death, I just needed my mom to be okay.

Once my mother’s lungs finally decided to hold up my mom was released to come home at last. When she got here we were inseparable, she held me in her arms all night while I cried the night my boyfriend broke up with me just like I did for her in the hospital. She no longer has to ask about my boyfriend and friends because I openly tell her everything and I love it. I trust her with everything because I know that she would never hurt me, she told me “the worst pain for a mother is seeing her child hurt and knowing you can’t fix it”. I know I could have lost her and now believe I would totally be lost without the love and support I receive from my mother.

I know there are many girls in the world who think their mothers are embarrassing, I know this because just about all of them happen to be my best friends. None of them see how wonderful their mothers actually are. I am proud to say my mother is my best friend, not many teen girls can or even will. It was that horrible month, a few years back, filled with heart-wrenching pain that made me see the truth, every mother should be their daughter’s best friend.