I Believe in the Power of Music

Kaitlyn - Marlton, New Jersey

I’ll never forget the first concert I attended. Lights were shining in every direction and when the band came on stage the crowd erupted into screams of excitement. However, my first concert experience was unbelievable for the fact that there were thousands upon thousands of people crammed into one solitary building. Despite the close proximity and the sweat that well, let’s face it, probably wasn’t mine the experience was a miracle. There were so many people, each with different likes and dislikes, different backgrounds, different ages, different ethnicities and yet all brought to that venue for one reason. A passion for music.

So many things in the world tear apart friendships and create enemies it’s amazing people don’t isolate themselves from others. The human race argues and disagrees on everything from the next President of the United States to what they should have for dinner. But at the concert, tangled in complete strangers, the only thing we could find ourselves fighting about was the fact that people were pushing me around to get closer to the music. I believe music is the one bond between people. Sure, we disagree on favorites but at the end of the day music is music. Whether it be rock, hip-hop, rap, country, or reggae a spark is ignited within everyone when they hear that first beat. No words are needed, all a person has to do is listen. Listen to every beat, rhythm, harmony, and lyric. Listen, sing, dance, but not fight. As much as I remember about the concert, I can’t remember. The time was so surreal that I can’t recreate the feelings I felt as I allowed the music to take over. If anything, this world needs a stronger bond with music. Without it the frustrating bickering between people begins again.

Music is unlike anything else. Even at the worst of times it lifts people back up and gives them hope. How many things can bring an entire world of people together to celebrate something positive and inspiring? Plain and simple music is magic. There’s magic in the way that together in unison the fans of that concert sang every lyric right back to the band. There’s magic in the way that every single person in that venue shared the common love for that artist. There’s magic in the way the band made that night so special and personal for everyone there. Music is a place people can go when they need to see that they aren’t alone in this intimidating world we live in. Believe me when I say I’ll always remember that concert and the happiness so many different people took away from it. Fans, myself included, screamed louder and louder to the band members with dedication and admiration that I’m sure they can sleep well knowing the touched the lives of so many through their own passion for music. Music is the miracle of yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Everything keeps changing and sometimes it gets better and other times it completely flops. Music will never stop and it will never judge. The bond remains strong as ever through every hardship and every celebration. As the lights shined in every direction at my first concert and the sound overpowered me I discovered that I believed in music.