The Importance of Family

Alex - Chula Vista, California

I believe in the importance of family. Family is the one group of people you can always fall back on, in times of trouble and desperation. They are always there when you need someone to talk to or a shoulder to lean on. Your family is there to help cheer you up after a long hard day. They are there to pick you up and dust you off. And family is also there to celebrate your accomplishments with you. Your parents are the first ones you tell when you get in to college and are also usually the first ones to help pay for it. They are the ones at all your little league games and your piano recitals; they support you in every endeavor you attempt. Your brothers and sisters are the ones who played hide and go seek with you on those summer days, and who helped you build your castle out of blankets and pillows. They are the ones who you can go to for help when your significant other is getting on your nerves. Your brothers and sisters are also the ones who you can call to bail you out of jail at two in the morning, and they’ll never tell your parents because that is exactly what you’d do for them. I believe the best moments in life are when your family is gathered together and you sit down to Christmas dinner or Easter lunch. I believe that your mom is who you can run to when your dad is mad at you for shattering a dinner plate, and I believe your dad is the one whose job it is to interrogate all possible dates for your sisters.

I believe family is the backbone of all modern society. Your family is the one place you can seek refuge, no matter what life throws your way. Family is there to help you back up after you fall flat on your face. I also believe that love is what holds a family together. Love for your mom and dad and your brothers and sisters. Love is what unites a family when the family is faced with an enemy; such as a death, a job loss, or foreclosure.

I believe that the concept of family is fading before our eyes. With the amount of divorces, single parent families, and broken homes on the rise in America, the traditional idea of family is quickly becoming lost in the hustle and bustle of this fast paced environment we call modern America. I believe it is imperative that we as a society hold onto this very precious concept of family for as long as we can, passing it along to our children as our parents did to us. I believe family is what makes life tolerable. This I believe.