The lost belief: Honor

Sarah - Somis, California
Themes: integrity

I do not believe in the Beatles or luck. Love at first sight is something that belongs to fairytales. Bravery can be confused with stupidity. You can not trust those around you because they have no honor.

Honor a belief that people hung to but then died out with knights in shinning armor. This belief is made up of honesty, respect, integrity, and fairness. How many people do you know that holds any of these close to them? Most likely not that many.

What brought this lost belief into my life so strongly is one day I was sitting in one of my class trying to stay awake. My teacher was going on about the Vietnam War, which he did about one a week. This day he was talking about the draft and how they might recall it.

“You would have three choices,” he said. “You could join, go to jail or run to another country. So which one who you choose?” Then he had us raised our hands. For going to jail there were about one person who raised her hand just to get a few laughs out of her friends. When he asked who would join I raised my hand along with only about eight others. This surprised my teacher and he looked at me and asked.

“Why would you join?” I looked him right in the eyes and answered.

“Because I would much rather die then runaway.” My teacher nodded his head and went back to teaching. The football player who sat behind me laughed in my ear as he raised his hand for running to another country along with the rest of the class. I glanced back at him and asked.

“You would run?” he smiled and said.

“Yup and I would never look back.” This stung a little bit, but I did not thing about much until I went home. I check my e-mail and saw my email quote of the day and it was by William Shakespeare so I clicked on it. In big letters this is what I saw.

“Mine honor is my life; both grow in one; Take honor from me, and my life is done.”

Then it hit me. That football player had no honor. Almost all the people in my class had no honor. It does not make them bad people, but think how much better they would be with it.

Honor is a diamond the ruff, something people laugh at. Once a greatly valued belief is now something is rare. It is one of the many things we have lost over the years, but it hides in all of us. The question is when the time comes will you used or push it back in your mind.