I Believe the World Is What We Make It

Mark - Butte, Montana
Themes: humanism

The world we live in is the creation of uncounted people, from uncounted ages, who spent their lives changing their world. I believe it is our privilege and our right to continue this incredible legacy. If we don’t try, how can we ever say it was ours? The truest thing I’ve ever learned is that the world is what we make of it.

Growing up my mother and my grandmother always taught me that you should “do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” That is a philosophy that I’ve taken to heart and kept going to this day. Whenever possible I try to help someone who’s in need, because all the things we do create a chain of events. Anyone who doesn’t believe me should find out for themselves.

I believe in the power of a smile and a kind word. If you offer someone you meet during any given day one or both of these it will make their day. From this I’ve found two of my greatest joys, one is being able to turn someone’s day around. The other, simply knowing that what I did will be passed on by the person I met. Remember the people you deal with, even if things aren’t going the way you’d like, and offer them at least a little patience.

Everyone knows of the dark days the world has seen. Just think about why they happened and you’ll see what I mean. Take September 11, 2001, our country lost a great many people in an extremely tragic event. All the events of that day, “another day that will live in infamy,” were because one man wanted to hurt us. One man alone changed the way things were.

We’ve all seen the dark side of humanity, but few of us truly despair. Take Martin Luther King, Jr., he fought for what he believed in and brought about Civil Rights. He broke the walls that held people apart, and built a road we still travel. He didn’t want fame, he only wanted to make things right. Again, one man changed the way things were.

Everyone plays a word game of sorts, so now I’d like to cut mine short. I believe in the dark heart of humanity, and it doesn’t threat me. I believe in the power of humanity, and there I find pride. I believe in what the world can be, if only we try. I believe that the world is precisely what we want to make of it.

This I believe.