A World Gone Soft

Nickles - 29072, South Carolina

In an industrialised world, Americans depend more and more modern conveniences to survive. Kids whittle away the hours of the day playing video games. In school, children’s heads are filled with information that will never be used again. In today’s society, everyone can turn on a computer and work a calculator, but the traits our country was built on are no where to be found. Everyone requires the aid of someone else, and the question is raised if one has what it takes to depend solely on himself. What is this world coming to?

None remember their first video game session with Dad, but an outdoorsman can surely tell of his first successful hunt for wild game with his father. Unlike America’s founders, today’s society places little importance on nature’s splendor. Refrigerators are always stocked and hands remain untainted. Few people have heard the whistle of the wings of wild ducks or seen a deer other than in their headlights or on the side of the road. The thrill of the hunt is an all but forgotten experience. But why bother? Someone else can do the work while I depend more and more on more and more people.

Before America was America, a man would set out on his own to start a new life, but such reckless pursuits are frowned upon today. Instead of grabbing family members and hammers to build a house, an online contractor is emailed. Hardly a square mile of unmolested forestland is left in the United States. Signs of human contact scar the landscape everywhere. Evidence is present in the list of extinct species that once flourished in America. Each day, rural America becomes progressively more minute with the cityscape constantly expanding, and with the way things are going, the America of the past will exist only in history books and the minds of those that experienced it.

The views of today’s society are much different than those of yesterday’s. In the past, physical confrontations were commonplace and viewed as ways to solve problems, but the same fight today brings jail time and regular visits to the psychiatrist. Self-defense is not an option in today’s world gone soft either. The home defender with a firearm is the criminal where the slain “gangbanger” who aimed to kill is hailed as a hero. In a world where speaking one’s mind might lead to someone else’s feelings getting hurt, political correctness is the term of the hour.

The hypocrisy at the top of the ladder is a source of a portion of our problems as well. They tell our kids to “just say no,” then a judge slaps a repeat convicted drug dealer on the wrist and turns him back on the streets. Mugging is a real problem all over the country, too, and people fear for their wallets as well as their lives because the lack of action from “the top.” In the pledge millions of scholars say every day, Christian references are made, but the words “under God” are being threatened because some non-Christian Americans’ feelings are getting hurt. America, when did we get so soft?