Obstacles and Struggles for a Reason?

Kristen - Benton, Arkansas

I believe that God places obstacles and struggles in my life that only with the help of Him, I can overcome. Through these obstacles, I know that He will make me stronger, not only mentally, but spiritually as well.

In February of 2008, my granny was diagnosed with breast cancer. She is a very avid and dedicated Christian, so while this information was scary, she knew God had a plan for her. Everyone around her, family, friends, and church members worried more than she did. Often, when something bad happens, we tend to just give up and surrender to whatever is causing us grief, but that is not what she did. She persevered and prayed and never once did she ever give up on God.

Whenever I found out, I was heartbroken and terrified. Expecting the worst, it felt as if my heart shriveled up and just floated slowly and painfully to my stomach. I love her so much and couldn’t bear the thought that there was even a small chance that the cancer could get worse.

Soon after the diagnosis, she had a couple minor surgeries. In April she started radiation treatments to kill the cancer. Her cancer wasn’t severe enough to need chemotherapy. By August her cancer was completely dead. I couldn’t have asked for a better blessing than that.

This situation reminded me that life is like a balloon. Each day a little more air is blown into the balloon. Then, whenever there is an obstacle the balloon pops. Life shouldn’t be like that. Whenever we run into an obstacle we shouldn’t just give up. We need to keep praying and persevering as we did before like nothing has happened. That is exactly what my granny did.

Throughout her whole experience with cancer, she never gave up on God. She never worried. Petrified. Sheer Terror. Fear of the unknown. Those traits were descriptions of me, but not her. She was stronger, mentally, physically, and emotionally than I ever have been or imagine I ever will be. All she did was pray for God to do what he thought was best in her life. God picked curing her cancer.

God will not always take care of a situation the way we want him to take care of it. In this instance he did, but that won’t always happen. He has a reason and plan for every situation. Philippians 4:13 says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Not only did she use this verse to overcome her obstacle, but through her situation I learned to apply it in my own life. The Bible also says that if you have the faith of a mustard seed you can move mountains. She had this faith, and through her, I’m learning to have it too.