character of humanity

Das - cheltenham, Pennsylvania

If there is one motto or creed I believe in, that would have to be character. I hate to sound like an old man, but from meeting so many people over the years, I find it is what people my age are severely lacking in. All too happy to hop on the bandwagon, it seems as if no one even thinks anymore before they make a decision or as they walk the road of life and molds themselves into the people they are today. Now granted, everyone has some sort of character, but I find that it is ‘bad’ character that I all too often encounter or lack of enough. I guess you could say this all stems from by inability to fit in or find a true clique of people I can connect to in life. Yes, I have my friends, but they are few and in between, what I mean is the regular people you encounter in everyday life; simply put, I don’t fit in anywhere. This really starts once I left high school; I thought that going out into the big world after graduation would have me meeting all sorts of new open minded people I could come to level with but boy was I wrong (for the most part). Once I got to college, it seemed that all I ran into were what we call today as “bros”; they are typically your overly manly, jock, brutish, close minded type who spends their college days watching sports and chugging beers. Then there where the girls who fall into this crowd, who are some of the most mindless unintelligible people on earth. They have the worst taste in fashion, but at the same time, follow the hot trends of what everyone is wearing, which are some of the most despicable and terribly coordinated clothes I have ever seen (Uggs boots and spandex, what in God’s name are you thinking!). One thing that fascinates me about these types are that while at school they actually take the time and study to make the grade academically, but it’s only because it will be out of there head the second they don’t need it anymore and don’t truly absorb any knowledge, making time spent at college absolutely useless. You would think that if they weren’t truly educated then they couldn’t get ahead in life, but it’s because there are so many of them that they can easily intermingle with each other to get ahead, or because mommy and daddy know someone who could help them get a high paying position in a big name company despite being a total moron.

The other group of people I met was on the complete opposite of the spectrum; the unkempt hippy type who is so open minded that it clouds their mind from common sense. I’ll run into these people all the time in Philadelphia, and they are usually vegan or vegetarian because they think it’s healthy or that they are morally obliged to follow the code. Always rallying for some “righteous” cause they know absolutely nothing about other than what they are fed to by one lunatic who thinks they know all. And for God’s sake, take a bath!

When I transferred schools from a university to an art school, I thought I would fit in more easily since my previous school was inhabited largely by right wing conservatives who viewed me as being “out there” and “odd”, but I was largely mistaken. However, I was lucky in the fact that the Art Institute isn’t a traditional art school, because then it would have been populated by snobby hippies. Through my major it seemed as if the only people I had in my class were spazzed out nerds who knew nothing but the geek life style and couldn’t function with normal everyday people. You’d think that because they were “nerds” they would be intelligent and have actual insight because that is how most are perceived, but these kids were total buffoons who knew nothing of any importance, only trivial facts about things within their own nerd fandom. Even the group who make up the fan community of the small niche genre of music I like are impossible for me to get along with; they are incredibly immature and geeky, though I like one or two. Great, I can’t even fit in amongst nerds

So it seems that I can’t fit in wherever I go; I’m viewed as a loner, or when I’m out in a group setting it’s almost impossible to assimilate with people. Though painful as it may be to live a solitary existence to some, I have made peace with that and found that I’m more creative and can accomplish much more when left to my own devices, and that’s the way I intend it to be.