This I Believe, In Supporting Our Troops!

Katie - Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Themes: gratitude, war

I believe in supporting our troops who are serving our country overseas.

Our troops deserve to know that the sacrifices that they are making are greatly appreciated. They are doing such a selfless act by protecting our country’s freedom and our individual freedom.

One way to show that you care about our troops is to send a care package to a service person you do not even know. Sending a care package shows that you are thinking about them and what they are doing. My brother who served three tours in the Marine Corp Infantry said that receiving packages filled with tuna, socks, CDs, face wipes, and whatever else will fit in the box is one the best things. My mother and I would send at least one box a week to my brother and try to send a few a month to Marines who did not have anyone else to mail them things. It is really important to realize that not everyone who is serving our Country overseas has someone to send them packages or even just letters. It is the little things that matter the most.

Another way to show you support our troops is to “adopt a Marine.” My brothers homecoming was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. It is so awesome to see all of the Marines get off of the bus for the first time. You may receive a very brief phone call when they are overseas just saying that they are alive, but contact is minimal. But you really do not believe it or feel it until you see the Marines get off of the bus.

Not all Marines have someone at the homecoming to greet them as they step foot on American soil. At every homecoming there are always at least those thirty Marines who do not have friends or family to be there for them. Seeing the Marines who do not have family there is one of the saddest things a person can see.

My family spent Christmas in California that year. My brother had about six friends who did not have family in town and had no where to go for Christmas dinner. My mother invited all of them over for dinner and they were so grateful to have a home cooked meal after being in Iraq for so long.

It is extremely important for people to understand that you can support our troops without supporting the war. I believe in supporting our troops because what they do is so selfless and important.

Seeing how grateful the Marines were to have received packages from my family and other people who would send packages was amazing. Who knew that sending a $20 box could make someone feel so special.