Hannah - West Jordan, Utah
Themes: sports

I believe that Exercising makes you happier

In America, having the motivation to exercise and become a healthier person has gotten harder in the last twenty years. In the world today, it’s so easy to just sit at home with our cell phones, laptops, and big screen high definition televisions and have so much of the world come to us in our homes. When it comes to getting out and exercising, the first thought that comes to someone’s mind is, “It’s too hard,” or “I’ll start next month,” Everyone lets their mind take over the situation. I believe that exercise will not only effect you physically, but will help you mentally.

Since I was a little girl, I’ve been active. Up until I was fourteen, I was in swimming lessons, soccer teams, and was always playing outside. When I was eight I started clogging, and have been for the last ten years. When I turned sixteen I got a membership at the local gym’s weight room and went to exercise weekly with my friends. This last summer, my mom and I would go to the gym every morning to run on the tread mills, and twice a week we’d go to a water aerobics class. I can say from first hand experiences that being active can help a bad mood change to a good mood. When exercising, the body produces endorphins, a chemical that can help a person feel more peaceful and happy.

Being in college can be stressful at times, and setting aside some time in my day to exercise, or take a class that involves exercise, will help me get through the stressful days in school. I am currently in an advanced clogging class that I go to three times a week. While taking the clogging class I’ve noticed that I always leave that class very sweaty, and in a better mood than I was before the class. For an hour I get my heart rate going and my body moving. I feel like my mind is cleared and I can have a fresh start for the rest of my day.

The most exciting thing about exercising for me is the results I see in my body. What can give me more confidence when I try on a pair of jeans that I haven’t been able to wear in months and having them fit perfectly? I’ve noticed for myself that when I’m able to fit in an old pair of jeans that didn’t fit last month, helps me want to continue exercising because seeing the results of myself gives me more confidence and motivation.

I understand that for many people exercise sounds like death. But doing the plain and simple active things can have a change on your mental health and your physical health. Exercising also slows the aging process and improves your overall health, and in the long run, your body will thank you, and you’ll be happier with yourself as well.