Living in Fairy tales

Maddie - North Ogden, Utah

I believe in reading. In prying my eyes open in the dark depths of the night, just to find out what happens to Bella and Edward. I believe in curling up by the fire on a rainy day with a good book, lacking a care in the world. I believe in hiding behind a paperback, hoping nobody will find me.

One of my earliest memories is sitting in my mothers lap while she read me endless stories, because of my demand. I learned during these times exactly how much I love to read. Things for me to read are everywhere. Books, newspapers, magazines, web pages, the synopsis on the back of a movie case, my shampoo bottle… I will read whatever I can get my hands on.

Reading is my security blanket. It is part of my nightly ritual to read at least a chapter of my current book. I love to escape to Hogwarts in the middle of the night, because I can’t sleep. I love to re-read all about Mr. Darcy; just to see if he won’t be as stubborn this time around. I love to feel that wonderful weight in the bottom of my backpack, knowing that I have an escapade waiting for me as soon as I finish that test, or that I can sneak in a chapter during a mind-numbing lecture.

I believe that part of the self-discovery process is in reading. Diverse characters can help you uncover who you really are, as well as who you don’t want to be. I learned early on that I wanted to be a princess when I grow up; a conviction that still hasn’t left me.

I believe that everyone needs to have a favorite book. I believe that children need to grow up slaying dragons, and having dreams that fly on forever. I believe that through hard work and a little bit of pixie dust, everyone has a shot at going back to never land.