I believe in fun.

Sarah - Antioch, Illinois
Themes: pleasure

In all seriousness, being serious is seriously boring. Life is tainted by desolation, rejection, and… school. To contrast the seriousness of life, I like to have fun. I believe that having fun makes life worth living. It offsets the struggles and difficulties of school.

Being a sophomore in high school I am swamped by schoolwork. Usually I spend a few hours every night on homework during the week. But then on the weekends, I’m very rarely home. I am out every Friday and Saturday night. Putting aside all my work and just focusing on the moment is what I like to do. It makes me feel less worried about everything; it keeps me sane.

Not only do I overcome the stress of school by having fun, I get over grief by enjoying myself. My grandma died during homecoming week. I was really close to her, and I was very overwhelmed when she died. I didn’t know how to deal with it or what to do to feel better. I didn’t want to miss the homecoming parade or football game or dance. The same day of my grandma’s wake was the same day as the homecoming parade and pep rally. So to try to feel better, my parents said I could leave early and go to the parade. I got a ride and met up with my friends. I instantly started to feel better. My friends knew I was having a hard time, and they were there for me when I needed them. We went on to watch the parade and pep rally. I completely enjoyed myself and started to feel better. The next day was my grandma’s actual funeral. I had to miss all of school, but when I got home I got ready and went to the football game. Despite how much I had been crying that day, I still enjoyed myself that night.

Going out and having fun can cure all problems. I think being focused on school and being serious all the time is a waste of your life. Nobody should be solely focused on work. It’s too strenuous and overwhelming. And people need to be able to overcome grief. That’s why I believe in having fun.