I Believe In Parenting

Amy - Butte, Montana
Themes: parenthood

I believe in parenting. I became a wife and mother at the age when I should have been starting my future. My children, I now realize, are my future. The first time I heard my oldest daughter’s cry I knew that I could not fail her. As her mother I have the responsibility to shape her into a responsible, confident, and independent adult. My children deserve my best. Being the best parent requires patience and understanding as well as being supportive, loving, and receptive.

When our children’s behavior requires discipline, we must enforce consequences that suit the wrongs, and we need to be consistent. If we give in just once they remember and they then expect it. We must approach our children with patience and understanding when enforcing consequences. I know that they can have bad days, too. Our youngest daughter may not understand why she cannot fit into that miniature doll house. Though, she may attempt to crawl inside several times and then cry out in frustration when she still does not fit. And our older daughter doesn’t always get the concept that the world, or her world, doesn’t revolve around her. However, she will lash out when confronted with that fact. As their parent, I must teach them to understand why they cannot always have what they desire.

I believe that I need to be receptive to their needs and their wanting to practice their independence. When taking their first steps, our girls reached out to us and we offered our support. When our two year old asked for red Kool-Aid in a big girl cup, I supported her. When she ventured across our light colored carpet and spilled the cup only half way through, I practiced my patience. After all it was an accident.

Our children also need to feel loved and know that it is unconditional. Children need to feel secure. One afternoon I heard our youngest daughter let out a glass shattering scream. I ran into the kitchen to find her shaking with fear. I encouraged her to run to mama, but she didn’t dare move. Her little brown eyes were fixed on the ceiling. I looked up to see a fly buzzing in front of me, and realized that it was the fly that had her scared to death. I immediately embraced her. She needed to know that I was there and that I wasn’t going to let that fly hurt her. Giving our children this sense of security reassures them that we love them and that they can trust us when we tell them everything is going to be alright.

I believe in being the best parents for our children. I believe that parents need to express unconditional love to their children. I also believe that parents should be supportive and receptive. As a parent myself, I practice patience and understanding when parenting our daughters. All parents should enforce discipline, but express patience when doing so. I believe in parenting.