Zoe - Antioch, Illinois

I’m a bitch. My friends and family always call me one. Here’s why: when someone asks me for my opinion I’m always honest, even if I know the truth hurts. What does being a bitch really even mean? Does it mean being honest? Or not sugar coating your words? Or being blunt? If so, then I’m proud of being a bitch. I believe in being straightforward and sincere, even if that is considered bitchy.

There hasn’t been a day in my life where I haven’t been called a bitch. Ever since elementary school my classmates would call me that. It used to bother me a lot, until 7th grade. I went to a school dance and my friend came up to me and asked, “Do you like my dress, be honest?” I stared at her with a frank face and said, “Honestly, no.” It was no surprise that that girl went behind my back and told everyone I was a bitch. That day I learned a lesson: if I was going to be honest it was inevitable that I was going to be called a bitch. Ever since then I’ve accepted being a bitch and never get mad about it. Of course, my friends do get mad at me for always being straightforward, but I could care less because I’m proud of being truthful.

This year, I got in a big argument with my parents. I got everything taken away: my phone, camera, TV, laptop, everything. They yelled at me telling me some truthful words that hurt. I’m the type of person that stands up for myself, and that’s exactly what I did. I told my parents all the painful, honest facts about them that they did not want to hear. Did I regret it? No, because I like to be open, but I did feel bad. That night my friend called me and I told him what happened. He really changed my perspective on my truthfulness. He said, “You can’t always be a bitch, you have to be more polite when you open your mouth, otherwise people won’t like you.” I thought about it for a while, and realized he was right. I never really thought about it, but my sincerity did cause a lot of unnecessary drama in my life. I can’t help being truthful though, I hate beating around the bush; I like to tell it like it is. That day I learned a new lesson: I should only be honest in situations where it is appropriate, otherwise people are going to get offended by my dry, direct words. I know I’m always going to keep my sincerity, but as of right now I’m still working on being more compassionate with what I say.