Imagination: Life in the Palm of Your Hand

Kristin - Hermantown, Minnesota

I believe in imagination. Imagination is the essence of creativity and excitement, and is truly the spice of life. To have imagination is to have life in the palm of your hand. It is the key to the development of profound thinking and knowledge, which are two of the most important things a person needs to be successful. Imagination is what makes life so stimulating. It is a young person’s favorite diversion, the imagination within a book, a movie, or a story, all impacting a person’s life immeasurably.

To enjoy life, one needs imagination. Otherwise, one is a person with simply physiological and safety needs, who has no desire to expand their thinking beyond their line of sight. Without imagination, people would not have come up with the numerous ideas that have shaped our world and made it serviceable. Nothing would be the same. As John Dewey (Philosopher, Psychologist, and Educator) states, “Every great advance in science has issued from a new audacity of imagination.”

As a child, growing up in Chicago, there weren’t a lot of activities I could safely do. So I played many games that required just me and my imagination. Sometimes I was a mother of 10 children with a home, other times I was an astronaut on the moon, or a professional ballet dancer performing for thousands of people. My favorite games, however, were the ones that required the most imagination. The ones where I was in the middle of the woods, for instance, where there was nothing around. Everything was made up; creativity was key, and I would imagine something I had never experienced before. It made my life so much more intriguing to “be” many different things, instead of only being a 6 year old who played in the backyard. Without those games, I would not be the same person I am today.

Exercising imagination at a young age helps develop the brain. The child practices thinking unbounded thoughts which can grow into vast, creative, and practical thoughts, which allow that child to become a person who can the devise solutions to problems and life issues.

Imagination isn’t just something one has as a child; rather it is something that is carried with that person until the day they die. For instance, I will still sit somewhere alone and daydream about something new, or an experience I wish to have.

A good imagination leads to dreams, dreams lead to goals, and goals lead to the fulfillment of those dreams. I often wish that my dreams would come to pass, and that I would be able to have great, diverse, and exciting experiences, like nothing I have ever done before. This goal has not yet come to pass, but I imagine, and I am confident. Someday I will be able to experience in yet another way, what was once only my imagination: the vast and wonderful world that is waiting to be discovered by each and every one of us.