I believe in Heaven

Allison - Littleton, North Carolina

I believe in heaven. In 1997 my husband, my much loved high-school sweetheart and the father of my three children, died from a brain tumor at the age of 39. Later, I was fortunate enough to remarry a wonderful man, and my second husband died in 2001 from an automobile accident at the age of 45. A month after that, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, 3 months later, my mother died. To say it was a difficult year is an understatement.

My mother had been very ill for many years and before her death we had a discussion about life and death and our beliefs. I climbed up on her bed for a long conversation just like I did when I was a child, and at the end of our talk, I asked her, if she could, to let me know after she died that she and both my husbands were all right. She promised me that she would do everything in her power to get that information to me.

Six weeks after my mother died, my three children who were 14, 11, and 8 at the time, and I were visiting my brother and his family for the Christmas holiday. I had two extremely difficult days in a row. I had finished my chemotherapy; I was physically and emotionally exhausted and felt as bad as I could remember. When I went to bed that night, I lay down. Then I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder. I turned to see who was with me to find I was alone. Instantly I knew my mother had let me know that she and my two husbands were all right. You see, that caressing hand on my shoulder was how my mother comforted me as a child.

The feeling I got when I realized no one was physically touching me was an incredible sense of peace and comfort. In an instant, my world changed from one of despair to one of hope and love.

In the years that have followed, I have not experienced any other events like this one, but I know that what I experienced was real. My mother reached out to me. I know we have an existence beyond this life. This knowledge has helped me cope with the traumatic events of my life and for this I will always be thankful. I believe I will see my parents and my husbands again because there is something after this life. I believe I have proof.