We are Mischievous!

Nathalia - Aurora, Colorado
Themes: humanism

After several weeks of attempting to explain my belief and why I believe this, I struggled with focusing solely on one reason that motivates every aspect of my life. It’s easy to say you believe in something because that’s how you were raised, that’s all you’ve ever known. How do you narrow down the countless experiences and learning lessons you’ve underwent for 21 years in just one explanation? However, due to the many life lessons I’ve endured, I have come to hold true a belief that suits everyone regardless of age or way of life. I believe that human beings by nature enjoy being mischievous. I believe that at times we manipulate situations to prevent certain people from achieving their goals at least when it is in our power. And in doing so, we enjoy provoking their misfortune. The idea that we can provoke our desired outcome in someone else is incredibly thrilling and difficult to pass up. To put it in simple words–we enjoy to “rain on someone else’s parade.” For that reason, when we see an opportunity to manipulate someone’s day for better or worse we don’t hesitate to take action.

By this, I don’t mean that we’re all evil, but at times can be hurtful, mean, and cruel; at the same time we can be kind, compassionate, and ready to lend a hand IF and WHEN we feel like it. Every day we make choices as to how we will live out that day. Though these choices may seem insignificant at times, they accumulate throughout the day whether they’re good or bad. And when you’re lying in bed at the end of the night, you replay how your day went you realize that you were a total bitch. Then you think “it’s ok everything I did wasn’t serious it’s not like I killed someone or anything like that.”