We Have Different Beliefs

Caitlin - Wasilla, Alaska

Have you ever had a friend who believes differently than you? Or have you ever judged someone because of their beliefs and had them prove you completely wrong? One of my best friends doesn’t believe in organized religion, while I’m a really strong Christian.

For the longest time I had the misconception that if people weren’t Christians, they couldn’t possibly be good people. But the day I met my best friend, Burgundi, changed my opinion forever. We worked together and she seemed like a nice person. Everyone liked her, and she has a way of befriending people most others wouldn’t even give the time of day. We talked as we worked and eventually we became tanning buddies. The more we talked and hung out, the more I liked her. She liked me for who I was, no matter how crazy or dumb I would act.

We talked about everything: boys, music, bad boyfriends, and just life in general. But the more we talked, religion eventually came up. She told me she was against organized religion and hoped that I was okay with that because she knew about my strong beliefs.

The more I got to know her, the closer we became. She had just moved to Alaska that summer and didn’t know many people. I was also dealing with the fact that my two best friends graduated the year before and were now living in different states. We quickly became friends and realized we both missed out old friends, but could be there for each other. I knew I couldn’t let something get in the way of our friendship; even if it meant putting aside our differences.

Burgundi is one of the nicest people I think I have ever met. She has helped me through countless problems and is also someone who is able to put up the all of the issues and drama that come up in my life. The friendship I have with her has taught me that people who are not Christians, or maybe have different opinions or beliefs than I do, can still be great people and become amazing, lifelong friends. I am so thankful she gave me a chance to change my opinion and that she as well, didn’t judge me for my beliefs.