I Believe in Changes…

johanna - charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: change, immigrant

I was only ten years old when I found out that I was going to move to the United States. I was born in Argentina and lived the first ten years of my life in that beautiful country. It was exciting and sad; it was confusing to express how I felt. I wanted to know that country that everyone talked about and described to be wonderful, where everything was the best and people were happy. Of course I was only ten years old and thought that all these things were true and that everything was perfect. On the other hand I was scared because I would have to leave my old life behind.

On March 26, 2001, I got on the plane and took a journey that was going to change my life forever. This was the turning point of my life. It made me grow up, become more mature, and open my mind to new things.

It took me a long time to realize how good this was for me. I did not understand it at first. It took me months to get used to this country that was like a new world to me. It took me years to learn a new language that was very different from mine. The hardest thing was to accept that this was now my new life. I would spend long nights crying, trying to understand why my life had to change so much, asking myself if my life would ever be the same. With time, my wounds healed and I began to value and accept the new circumstances of my life.

I am now eighteen years old, almost nineteen, and I believe that even the worst changes have a positive long-term effect in us. My life has changed from the day I got on that airplane and I now understand that I would not have been the same person if I were in Argentina. I love my country and will never forget where I came from. I will always treasure it in my heart but I know that this change was necessary for me to be who I am today. I am stronger today because I learned that changes will always make me take a step forward.