Anything’s Possible

Daksh - Chesterfield, New Jersey

I wanted to explore space. After some time on a field trip, I decided to become an astronaut. However, one day, I was surfing the web and realized how long and hard I’d have to train with NASA, not to mention the years in college. But, my parents made me realize, I could be anything I want to be.

It was in fourth grade; Mr. Sterling led us into the planetarium. My mind enthralled as we entered the pitch-black, soundless igloo of air. A loud humming noise disturbed my thoughts, but the din gradually died (after everyone took a seat). Walking out two hours later, I had a clear view of my future: I wanted to be an astronaut. A few nights later, I went on NASA’s website, and found out that the process would be tough and protracted, and that only “the cream of the crop” was worthy.

My dream was shattered into a million pieces; I decided to forget it, and become a pilot, the next best thing. Upon telling my parents about the ordeal, they were astonished by my “weak” behavior. “It isn’t like you. I know you don’t give up! Think about the honor,” said my dad. There was a moment of silence that felt like an eternity. To fill the void, my mom said, “You know, anything’s possible, if you try,” said my mom, releasing a weak sigh. She left the room. I looked up at my dad, only to witness a look of hopelessness on his face. Mom returned with a thick, dusty book in her hand. She opened it and told me it held the stories of some of the greatest people in the history of humankind, who had to overcome impossible odds to achieve success. Albert Einstein had trouble learning in school, Michael Jordan didn’t make his high-school basketball team, Abraham Lincoln was defeated multiple times for legislator, and many others.

These inspirational individuals’ stories spoke directly to me: “Anything’s possible, if you try your hardest.”