Single Parent Home

Jacalyn - Mobile, Alabama

Single Parent Home

I believe that children can be raised in a single parent home. My mother was a single parent and I think she did a fantastic job in raising me and my two sisters.

As a I don’t remember my father, my mother was my father. I can remember times when my mother would get me and my sisters ready for Sunday school and church every Sunday whether she went with us or not. She taught me that when you enter a room you should always speak to others. Being respectful to others as well as ourselves. Working made it hard for her to be at home with us all the time, but she taught us how to clean up around the house and cook dinner. Me and older sister is close in age so we would do most of the cooking and cleaning while my baby sister would just play around.

Being a single mother of three daughters I thought my mom would be much striker on us than what she was. She explains to us about the birds and the bees and when a little girl become a “young lady”. There was many times I would want to go to the movies with a friend, “my boyfriend”, and she would let me go on question asked. Even then I would wonder if she didn’t care or she trusted me because she knew how she raised me and she dared me to do anything wrong.

I can remember the hard times we went through. There was one time my mother didn’t have enough money to pay the gas bill and this was during the winter time. She took what she had and bought a electric heater, we all gather in one room in the apartment and slept in one bed. There was another time our lights were cut off. My mother and our neighbor got the longest extension cord I had ever seen and ran it from their apartment to ours so that we could have lights. My mother would tell us that you will ups and downs in your life, but you must deal with them and keep living.

While in school my mother didn’t really push us hard , she taught us to do the best you can but it was okay to be a average student. My mother taught me that if you put god first in everything you do the rest would fall in place. I believe that good, strong minded adults can be raised in a single parent home. Despite the ups and downs we had as children we succeeded in life I believe. I tell my mother now sometimes when we are just sitting around talking. She did a wonderful job, because we could be on the streets doing drugs or selling our bodies, but we a strong young ladies making our mark in life because of you “this I believe”.