I Believe in Fairy Tales–Imagine That

Danielle - Berwyn, Illinois

Humans are prone to find the truth. If it is real, believe in it; if imaginary, it is pointless to embellish it. But what if one was to believe in something indistinct? People believe in conceptual entities everyday, such as God. Yet, I am not talking about religion. What if I were to say I believe in fairy tales? I believe in the sensation of hope, in promising endings, and in the magical feelings found in fairy tales.

A discrepancy is that fairy tales are stories, while actual life is the real feature. Consequently, perfect endings seem too surreal and impossible. However, it is not the sense of “perfectness” that I fancy, but rather a wonder of hope, believing as everything happens, there is a silver lining.

When I was about five, my mom and dad got a divorce. My mom took my brother and me to live in California. I did not necessarily realize we were moving away for good until I did not see my father anymore. After living in California for two years, we moved to Florida. Nonetheless, Florida was not our final destination—Illinois was. However, through all the moving, I was content.

I always had my prized treasure: The Little Mermaid Barbie. Apart from the fins and the sea, I related to Ariel. Ariel’s courage to become human—her own person—intrigued me so; I wanted to become my own person too. Ariel made me realize there is always something worth fighting for, and in the end, everything would work out for the best.

I also believe in the powerful magic fairy tales sprinkle throughout my imagination. I find it in my photographs and even in the music I listen to. Wherever I see it, I instantly get invigorated.

With my photography, I see how life appears different through the lens of a camera as compared through human eyes. It is not as full, not as radiant. Yet, that does not mean I cannot enhance my photographs. I see the magic in my pictures. As I alter the way a photo looks, I can adjust my life to imitate that same magical feeling.

It is also in music. Music shapes my mood easily; it has some sort of mystical power over my feelings. Accordingly, one of the songs I love to listen to is “Human” by The Killers. Something about that song encourages me to believe in what I do. Its main message is to be oneself, a human—which is my vital goal.

Consequently, as I grew up believing in the richness behind fairy tales, they helped me form some of my personal goals. I do not seek a perfect ending with a prince charming; I look forward for an optimistic closure. I like to believe that in the end, something pleasant always emerges. I stand firm in my belief of the stimulating enchantment I perceive in everyday life. With my belief in fairy tales, I will always have something to look forward to.