Being Raised and Ready to Fly

Amanda - Brockway, Pennsylvania

Ever since I was first put into my mom’s arms, she and I have been on our own. Yes, my mother did have some help from her sister’s and her father but not unless she really needed it. For the first six years of my life, my mom and I were together as one and traveling down the long road of life to wherever it led us. But the one thing that we had, no matter what, was each other. My mother and I have been very close my whole life. She’s not only my mom but she’s my best friend. We have been through everything together, both good and bad. If there was ever anything I needed to talk about, my mom was the first to be asked or the first to go and tell. I consider my mom to be the best mom in the whole world because of her amazing qualities that make her who she is. My mother is the most courageous woman I know. She takes on tasks and always completes them with her best ability.

My life has been the greatest that I could have ever asked for. My mother provides anything I ever need. I am my mom’s number one priority and her most precious gift, as she always tells me. I love hanging out with my mom and just talking. Every time I do, I always seem to learn something new, even if it’s not something important but just a tip for life.

Throughout my years in school my mom always made sure that I did well and always completed my homework before I was allowed to go outside and play. My mother has always been stern with me, mostly with school, but I know, now, that it’s only because she wanted me to be the very best that I could be and do the very best that I could.

All through my life I have appreciated what my mother has done for me and that she has given me, but I probably haven’t said enough “thank yous” that I should have. As a soon to be graduate of high school, I now realize that having a mother like mine is probably the most important thing in my life. Without her I don’t think I would be where I am today. This fall I’m heading off to college not too far away from home, but far enough that I’ll be on my own and have to take over continuing my life where my mom has left off. It will definitely be hard, and I’m sure I will struggle at first and end up calling her for everything I need help with. But I know that she’ll always be just a phone call away and no matter what the problem is, she’ll be able to solve it, even if it may be that I’m having trouble with the washing machine. And this I believe is the greatest gift a child could ever ask for.