The Hidden Power of Music

Robert - Grants Pass, Oregon

The Hidden Power of Music

I love music, and I am always listening to it. It is something very interesting when I think of the power behind it, and the influence it has on the psychological part of the human mind. What I mean is that music has a big influence on our actions, depending on the individuals interest in it, and how often they listen to it. As for me, it has had a huge impact on my behavior, just as much in the past as it does today.

Way back when, I listened to a lot of what I now consider to be very inappropriate music, full of vulgarity and horrible messages, such as drugs, violence, and sexual immorality. I was really into that “rap crap” and I thought I was so cool for listening to it, and for acting the way that those artists portrayed themselves to be in their music. Eventually I came to a point in my life when I was really trying to figure out what I wanted to make of myself at that time of my life, and in the future to come. I realized the downgrading affect that the music I was listening to had on me. It was very destroying to my self esteem, knowing that what I was doing was wrong. I would dress “thuggish”, and use all those 4 letter words. So, I decided one day just to throw all that “crap” away, and started listening to rock and alternative music with more uplifting messages.

It changed everything about me after a period of time, as I let the good messages influence my behavior. I cleaned up my language, started dressing differently, and found new friends. I dug down deep inside myself and found my true self, and I did it through music and its powerful influence. As strange as that may sound, music does have a certain degree of power and influence on our minds, and the way we think and behave. I am just so glad that I came to realize that, and was able to take an important step to change, simply by changing the music I listened to.