Comfort, not so good after all

Rebecca - Appleton, Wisconsin
Themes: carpe diem

Throughout life it is all too easy to get stuck in a rut. If you don’t watch out, you’ll fall into the trap of mindless everyday routines. I am a strong advocate for spicing up your life. Do something new and exciting, maybe even dangerous. I’m not saying to intentionally place yourself in harms way, but don’t let fear restrict you and rule your life. I believe in stepping outside your comfort zone.

As a child, I was shy and always nervous. The first day of anything, would be accompanied by a stomach tied in tight knots. On the playground I would marvel at the girls doing flips off the monkey bars but never had the guts to try myself. I was not outgoing at all but I sure wanted to be.

Slowly I began to grow out of that stage. I was on the soccer team, in girl scouts and even became an ambassador for new kids at my elementary school. I was always nervous and hesitant to try new things but I pushed myself into it and wouldn’t let myself regret it.

I started out high school with a bang. I was in Seussical the Musical. First of all, I can’t sing. Second of all, I can’t dance. In order to be in the musical, I had to try out, singing and dancing by myself in front of half an auditorium of people. If this wasn’t a defining moment for me, I don’t know what is. Before every performance I was terrified, but looking back, I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything in the world. I made so many good friends and my confidence went through the roof.

I later joined a club called HOSA, which stands for health occupations students of America. I didn’t know anyone in the group but I was planning on going to school for nursing so I figured it would be a good opportunity. I was in it for two years and went to state competitions twice, having to perform nursing skills in front of judges. My second year, I was president. I had to take charge and organize meetings, fundraisers and drives. I am proud to say I put together a very successful toy drive for the local Children’s Hospital. I spoke up and my voice was heard.

Now, I am realizing how much these opportunities I took a chance on, are helping me currently. I became a Certified Nursing Assistant and part of the certification process was performing those same tasks I did in competitions. I am a good leader and I am no longer afraid to voice my opinions and concerns. The more I push, the further I get.

I have gotten so much more out of life by simply jumping in and not hiding in a corner. I have many things I want to get accomplished in my lifetime and staying in my comfort zone will get me nowhere. I want to scuba dive, sky dive and everything in between! I pushed my limits and was pleasantly surprised to discover a whole new me, so I won’t stop pushing until I’m pushing daises.