Allysa - Plymouth, Minnesota

“This is your taste of the future,” someone once told me. Meaning, this is what my life will be like if I choose to pursue a music career. As a result, I now believe that every young adult should be given a chance to envision their future.

When I first started playing in an orchestra, I wasn’t able to play very well; then I met Nick, my private bass teacher, and everything turned around. Nick coached me through rehearsals and auditions. Proudly, I went from being a horrible bass player to being the best bass player in just one summer. Hard work and practice earned me a place in the State Honors Orchestra and the Allegro Philharmonic Orchestra. Therefore, I found playing music in general more enjoyable.

In February of 2007, I went to the Honors Orchestra rehearsal. Through this experience I learned that I hadn’t prepared myself well enough. I had spent one whole month practicing the music given to me. I went over and over it, playing it again and again, but there were other things I realize would have helped me prepare, like finding the musical measures that gave me trouble and working on just those. This is one of the skills you learn with music, you try and sometimes you fail, but you can always do better next time.

Many people don’t realize how much you can learn just by playing and being passionate about an instrument. By playing an instrument you learn responsibility for practicing, the care for an instrument and creativity. In other required subjects you learn the basics, but in music you can expand to convey your own style and emotion.

From the experience of playing with the professionals in the Philharmonic Orchestra, one of the best orchestras in the United States, I could see how much I am like them. My schedule was almost exactly like the professionals. I had rehearsals from 8 until 9, fifteen minute break, sectional, lunch, hour and a half rehearsal, fifteen minute break, 2 hour rehearsal with full orchestra and sectional coach, then I would go home.

Most people would say that the rehearsal schedule was tough and hard, but I didn’t mind it. Playing for hours five days a week was enjoyable. In the end, it showed me what to expect in my future.

I have big dreams of my future just like any young adult. I want to be in the New York Philharmonic. Being on stage with the Philharmonic Orchestra and State Honors Orchestra allowed me to experience the thrill of performing and want it more.

Every young adult should have the opportunity to feel the thrill of playing a musical instrument in a great orchestra. I once had a conductor tell me, “This is the taste of you future.” This I believe.