Live, Laugh, Love

Courtney - Sparta, Michigan

There is a person in everyone’s life that is put there for a specific purpose. They are meant to be life changing; meant to make you think, struggle, laugh, cry, question, and love. Life wouldn’t be the same without these people. We learn from them and we should all do our best to hold them close and cherish every moment we have with them.

My mom’s best friend Mary Beth was diagnosed with brain cancer in 2006 and was in the fight of her life until she passed in August of 2008. I would have never thought in a million years that she would be diagnosed with cancer. Honestly she was the nicest person I knew. There was just something about her that was infectious and once I caught it I couldn’t get rid of it. Mary Beth was the type of person who could make someone feel so special and so loved with hardly any words, she just had an air about her. Just by a warm embrace or a simple kiss on the cheek I knew I could always count on her.

Most of my time spent with Mary Beth was filled with laughter that made our sides hurt and tears that stung our cheeks with pure joy. Her purpose in life, whether she knew it or not, was to brighten someone’s day. Her laughter was always in the air and she believed that life was too short to take it too seriously; there is no point to stress over things that cannot be changed. It is part of human nature to worry, but time is too valuable to waste. I believe that time should be spent with people I love and care about the most. Cherish every moment and make memories that will last a lifetime. Hold people close and love without regret because once they are gone there is no way to get that lost time back. People truly do not know what they have until it is gone.

As a person who has experienced loss in ways that most people do not experience in a life time, I hope that my relationships I have with people reflect my beliefs. I want to show people the importance of valuing friendship and that through our relationship I can make that known. I want people to know how special they are to me no matter how strong or weak our bond may be. I want people I care about to always know that I love them and always be there for them.

Live, laugh, and love are my words to live by, and I am so grateful to have had a person like Marry Beth in my life. She changed me and made me realize the little things are the most important. I know that because of her I am a better person and that she was put in my life specifically for that purpose. The amount of people she touched in such a short amount of time is truly priceless.