God is What I Believe In

Lexi - Mt. Pleasant, Michigan
Themes: Christianity

One thing that turns people off of Christianity is that when they ask a Christian why they believe in God, they say, “I just do.” Well I have a better reason than that. God has done so much in my life to prove that he is real. I believe in God-this I believe.

One of the most important things that proved to me that God is real is that he brought my wayward uncle back to the family. I had not seen my uncle since my great aunt’s funeral in 2004. He was an alcoholic, smoked several packs a day, and had just been divorced from his first wife. I learned the next part after I saw my uncle again in august 2007. My uncle started to go back to church where he met a kind woman. This woman photographed him and his dogs for a Christmas picture. She helped him see where there were rough spots in his life and how God could help. Early in 2007 my family got an invite my uncle’s wedding. He was going to marry this wonderful woman. If my uncle had not found God he would not have found my new aunt, and then I would probably not have seen him again.

Another important thing that proved that God is truly alive is how well I have done at school. The week before I was supposed to move into the dorms in Marquette, 6 hours away from home, I was a total wreck. I did not think that I could live so far from my family and go somewhere where I knew only one person. My dad helped me to see that this was where God was sending me and that he would be with me through this transition. After I moved in, my parents were pulling away and I was walking back towards the dorms with tears in my eyes. I just kept telling myself that I did not need anyone to see me crying and that I would be able to do this. I have been able to survive and grow so much thanks to the places God led me. He led me to join a sorority in order to meet new girls and grow as a person. He also led me to join InterVarsity Christian Fellowship where I have grown closer to him and met even more amazing people. I believe that he led me to this campus to help me grow as a person and to help my faith grow more than it would have had I gone to the university in my home town.

These are just a few of the reasons that I believe in God. He helped my uncle come back to our family and he led me to Northern Michigan University where I am growing in more than one way. I have also seen his work in other people’s lives that also leads me to believe in him even more. This I believe-I believe in God.