Vegetarian Sports

Jacob - Negaunee, Michigan

I believe in standing up for yourself and believing in yourself, even if you are the only one that believes in it.

I have been a vegetarian for a while now and I think meat is bad, but it hadn’t always been that way. For much of the first part of my life I had always been a hunter and a fisher, because that’s how I was raised and that’s how my family is. I didn’t really it like too much. When I had first introduced the idea of becoming a vegetarian to others they had said it was ridiculous and stupid, among other things, and that I would never be able to do it. I believed in what I thought was right so I did not let that get to me. When others found out that I did not eat meat they made fun of me, but I stood up for myself and just told them that I didn’t think it was right. For where I live it’s hard to find a lot of meat alternatives, and sometimes it’s hard being a vegetarian, but I believed in myself and I’ve stuck with it for quite a while now.

I attended a middle school that only had two sports, basketball and track. Therefore, basketball was a big thing around our area and almost everyone played it. I’m a big sports person so of course I played it as well. People told me that I wasn’t very good at it and never really gave me a real chance. When I had played on the basketball team I started, but they still wouldn’t stop telling me that I wasn’t any good and I could never do anything. Then for high school I moved to a bigger school that had a lot of different sports, mainly so I could play football. Before I moved, of course people had told me that I wouldn’t be good enough to play with anybody there, but I did play on the basketball team and I was also the starting quarterback on the football team. Even though it was hard dealing with hearing that all the time, I never stopped playing basketball and progressing as a sports player as well as a person. I’ve come to realize that in order to achieve something, you have to keep doing it and keep practicing, despite the injuries, hecklers, and hard times that make you want to quit. It would have been so easy for me to stop playing basketball, but I believed in myself that I could do it and I did.

I’ve now gained the respect of a lot of people. Whether it’s how I play sports or the lifestyle I choose to live. Everyone is different, and everyone has different opinions. I believe that you can truly make it far if you believe in yourself, and not care what others think, and just live your life the way you want. This I believe.