Sisters by blood, Friends by choice

Brittney - Calumet, Michigan

Growing up, I shared a room with my sister. I know this isn’t the best of arrangements but it worked just fine. Sharing a room tells you a lot about the other person just in itself. I know I wouldn’t have it any other way. Without even knowing it, we become quite close because of that room. We learned many things, like not everything is about what you want and that sharing is the best solution to most problems. Having a sense for other’s needs and feeling will greatly help also. Having to put your needs aside comes up often when sharing a room. You don’t always get what you want but that is just part of life.

I believe sisters are by blood, friends are by choice. Sometimes you need that firm but very important truth that only a sister could say. No matter how bad something gets, you can always count on your sister to be at your side. Friends always tend to vanish when things start to get rocky and then appear again once the storm has settled. Also when you plan your day around something with a friend more times than none your friend finds an excuses why they can’t follow through with their plans. I’ve always thought, wait until you fall down and see who is around then. More times than none you can bet that your friends are nowhere to be found. I believe sisters may not always show their love through kind words but through many other ways. For example when you know your sister is up to no good and, only bad things can come from her actions; you don’t just let it happen. You make sure that she knows the consequences and from there you can only let her decided. If she chooses the wrong path you know she can count on you to be there when she finds out the hard way. Sisterly love is much more than what meets the eye. This I believe since it gets down to the simpler things in life. Others wish they had a sister to share things with. I don’t have to wish.

Sisters share a much deeper relationship compared to a relationship between friends. This I believe sisters are by blood, friends by choice.