Respect is What Our Elders Deserve

Austen - Jeddo, Michigan
Themes: respect

Respect for our Elders

I believe in respect and care for our elders. Today in our society senior citizens are often looked down upon. They are treated as if they are just ignorant helpless objects. If we took a second to think about the things that these incredible people have been through and the lives they have lived we would have a much different attitude towards them.

I know many elderly people who are truly amazing human beings. My grandparents are two of the nicest and most respectable people that I know. My grandfather made it through two depressions on a very low salary while supporting five kids and my grandmother. Not only did he make it through these hard times but he did all of this after he returned home from WWII; if that’s not respectable than I don’t know what is.

My grandma and grandpa were only one of many other families that survived through these hard times. Most of our elders have lived through World War II, the Korean War, Vietnam, the Cold War, and now the current war we are fighting. They have been through the best and worst of times. Now that they are starting to get old and their bodies are wearing down they can’t do many things that they used to do. Just because they can’t do everything us young people can do doesn’t mean we should just put them aside and treat them like many are treated. We should treat them like they deserve to be treated: with respect and admiration. I can only hope that one day I amount to what my grandparents have and look back at my life knowing that I made it through the things that they made it through. My grandparents are my heroes and I will forever be respectful to them and treat them with love and admiration just as all of our elders should be treated.