I believe in the power of Grandmas and Hummingbirds

Candace - Medina, Minnesota

I believe in the power of hummingbirds and grandmas. I believe that my grandma besides loving us grandchild loved hummingbirds more then anything. This I believe that my grandma is the strongest women I know.

I remember growing up going to up to grandma and grandpas house on the lake. Their beautiful lake home that was build with their own hands and their own sweat. Grandma always had her hummingbird feeds everywhere around the lake. She could sit and watch then for hours. I believe my grandpa had to squirrel proof every one of the feeders to ensure my grandma’s hummingbirds could return day after day. As I grew up I became to appreciate hummingbirds almost as much as my grandma.

Hummingbird is defined as a new world bird, usually very small in size and having brilliant iridescent colors. Hummingbirds are complete mirror image of my grandma both so full of color and personality. They say a hummingbird gets its name from how fast its wings flap that it makes a humming noise. Grandma Alice always was humming some sort of song, never singing it because she was unsure of the lyrics, just humming with the tone.

Hummingbirds live for sugar nectar or sugar water… anything sweet. It’s said that they can consume 50% of their body weight in sugar water in one feeding. Growing up man O man did grandma and I make a mess with sugar in her kitchen. Never measuring just a pinch of this, dash of that…every recipe memorized in her head. We Baked and stirred up every sugary goodie under the sun lemon bars, date bars, chocolate chip cookies you name it we baked it. And every treat was better then the previous.

As I grew older the trips up north got replaced with soccer tournaments, basketball games, and slumber parties. Grandma Alice became sick not much longer. They decided to sell the lake house in order to be closer to the family and the doctors. Sadly the lake house that we had created so many memories at had sold. All the forth of July’s having a picnic and being in the boat parade, every summer having a grandkids weekend up north, campfires and roasting marshmallows’, and of course all the hummingbirds were to become memories. Have no fear grandma decorated her new kitchen with none the other then hummingbirds and bird houses’. As well she had grandpa set up her hummingbird houses around the porch and deck so she would watch them just like she did up at the lake.

Over time grandma didn’t feel any better. My freshman year of high school my grandma was diagnosed with cancer. After one surgery and months of chemotherapy and radiation her cancer was gone and she was in remission. Just in time for us to celebrate the cancer was back. It was back and stronger then ever. I remember going over there to see her and we would just sit and watch the hummingbirds for hours, no need for words. As grandma got weaker the hummingbirds got stronger, coming around as if they were checking on her to see how she was doing. As the snow melted and the weather turned into spring my grandma passed away. It’s almost like they’re watching over my grandpa.