True Love at First Sight

Veronica - Prescott Valley, Arizona
Themes: love

Do you remember the first time you told your parents you were in love? Do you remember them saying you’re too young to know what love is? Although it may be true, I pushed all the comments aside because I believe in true love at first sight. Being as young as I am, I know it’s hard to understand, But even though I have been lectured that I’m too young to know what the word even means. Deep inside of my heart, my meaning is different to the one that you read in the dictionary.

I found out that I believed in true love at first sight when I was fifteen. It had been with my first boyfriend in high school. The feelings I had towards him had been different from all the others ones I have had before. When I first mentioned it to my parents that I was in love with him, they gave me that look like you’re crazy. My mom said, “You have no idea what that word means mija.” I guess you could say it did hurt my feelings that my parents didn’t believe me, but I blew it off. I knew that they wouldn’t believe me in the first place.

The funny thing was that it wasn’t just my parents, it was my entire family telling me! They said it was sad to know that I had fallen in love with my first true boyfriend. My response has always been, why should I break off something so special, so perfect? For once, I knew that there was such a thing called perfect. My boyfriend, our love, was perfect and it was something that meant the world to me.

I kept fighting off all the negativity around the issue, for nothing could change my mind. I knew what love was and nobody could tell me any differently. It’s been three years and I’m still with my boyfriend. No one thought I would be with my boyfriend for so long, the most exciting part is that I proved them all wrong, that was the best part!

The message I have is, if you believe in anything in general don’t let others say your wrong. Now in the dictionary the meaning of love is an intense feeling of deep affection (Oxford). My definition of love is there isn’t an exact word or group of words that can define it. This word is so strong, so powerful that even the meaning in the dictionary isn’t enough to satisfy me. It’s the feeling you get when you see his/her face. You’re constantly thinking of this person. Then, you start to think how life would be without them, and you can’t even picture it. Love is like a jar of honey, it’s only super sweet the very first time.