I Believe Apearances Do Matter

Houtong - Scotts Valley, California
Themes: setbacks

I Believe Appearances Do Matter

Too often, we judge other people based on first impressions. We quickly take in how they present themselves through clothing, their physical features, and their ethnicity, which leads to a quick generalization. Then we assess who they are on the information we collect and stereotype them. I believe that we should not try to judge people on just appearances and to take into account that we have our differences.

Alienation is the most frequent outcome of stereotyping. In preschool in Japan, I was isolated from the Japanese kids because I was the only Chinese going there. Even though we look similar, I was from a different culture. Then, when I moved to America, the district that I went to had a majority of white kids. I was secluded from the rest of the class because I simply wasn’t in that majority. My different features such as my flatter nose and smaller eyes pulled me apart from all the other kids in my class. They saw that I was different. They only saw me as an Asian. They judged me before they even got to know me.

The way we dress is also an important part of the generalization people put on others. Growing up, I never followed a trend. I wore what my mother bought for me. Society tells us to dress a certain way and following current trends makes one stylish, which makes a person “normal”. But because I did not dress that certain way, I was judged by my peers.

We all say we should not judge people on how they look, but I firmly believe as a society, we still do. There are always going to be differences amongst people that make up our nation of mixed cultures and ethnicities. So we still differentiate ourselves with appearances. We should avoid this trend and stop judging others just based on their looks. So instead we should take those differences into account and judge others based on who they are, not who they seem to be by their appearances.