Angels do exist

Katheryn - Mobile, Alabama

I believe in Guardian Angels and I believe in Survivors.

When I was 16, I was actually allowed out on New Years. Being the child that I was, I lied to my parents about what I would be doing. I told them I was staying with my best friend. In reality, I was at a not-so-great friend’s party. This is where I met Shaun. Later that night, he raped me. I was too scared to tell my parents right away; my thought was, “They won’t care because I lied.” I thought this until I told my brother. He then helped me and convinced me to tell my parents. Instead of saying, “we don’t care’”, they both said “we still love you… no matter what.” They continued to help me with everything: the therapy, the decision to press charges, and telling the rest of my family.

It was not until the next New Years that I realized who my Guardian Angels were. I realized this when I was curled up in a blanket between my parents, crying. I thought about everything they had done for me, and everything they would do for me in the future. They both agreed with me about not pressing charges because of the pain the courts would be. They both supported me in going to therapy, and they both still showed they loved me. Both of my parents helped me to forgive Shaun. I talked, they listened; I cried, they held me. I cannot tell you the number of times I curled up in my dad’s lap and cried on his shoulder.

I now know that if this terrible event had not happened, I would not have learned from it. I would not have learned about the consequences of the actions I take. It is a hard lesson to learn, and to learn from, but, it is attainable. I would not be as close with my parents, or my family. I would not have learned who I was, or how strong I am.

My angels are my parents. They sit in the background until I need them, until I come to them with my problems. It does not matter the situation, the problem, or the circumstance, they welcome me with open wings. They stand ground for me and my decisions. They watch my back and they protect my heart. Because of their fight for me, I understand their love for me that I never could before. I understand it was not my fault, and I believe this happened to bring me closer with those who love me.

I am a survivor because I am a victim. I survive because of my guardian angels: my parents. In this, I believe.